Thursday, July 10, 2008

He's a tall, skinny genius!

We had Lawrence's 18-month appointment today. It's hard to believe that his "Well Baby" check-ups are over and the next time we go -- for his 2-year check-up -- we'll have his little baby brother or sister en tow for his or her 2-week check-up.

Dr. K confirmed what we already knew -- Lawrence is tall and skinny. He weighed in at a whopping 23.5lbs and was 33in tall. That puts him under the 20th percentile for weight and he shot up to the 69th percentile for height. Auntie Jill came with us so she could get her immunizations updated before she goes to college. She brought her little record book where mom kept track of her stats/vaccines and we flipped through it while we waited. Turns out, Jill outweighed Lawrence by a pound...when she was half his age! At 9 months, she was 24lbs, some odd ounces. So, either Jill was a MOOSE or Lawrence is a peanut (probably a little of both).

Dr. K didn't come out and say it, but I could tell he was thinking it -- that Lawrence is super smart. Practically a genius. He was obviously impressed at Law's manners when he told him "thank you" after Dr. K handed him a tongue depressor. And his awe only grew when he learned how many more words were in Lawrence's vocabulary and that he can put 2-3 words together. He said most boys at his age only have 3-5 words and that the majority of kids don't use 2-3 word sentences until they're two. So, I think Mike and I can safely forget about his college fund -- our boy's gonna get scholarships! Nana had to burst my bubble, though...apparently I knew all my colors at 18 months. Guess we have some work to do...

In Baby B#2 news, I'm getting huge. I think so anyway. I'm taking pics of my belly each week like I did with Lawrence and I'm pretty sure I'm as big now as I was with Lawrence at 19w. And I'm carrying wayyyyy higher...not sure what that means. The baby is the size of an apple this week. I don't think that sounds that much bigger than the peach it was last week, but I guess apples are denser. The whole fruit correlation thing is weird...and don't they know that any reference of food to a pregnant woman is a bad idea because it can induce cravings? I guess it'd be worse if they were comparing babies to junk food, though...I'm sure I'd be even bigger if my weekly emails said "your baby is now the size of a Swiss Cake Roll" or "your fetus weighs the equivalent of a Snickers bar."

(Damn. Now I want a Snickers bar.)

That's all the news for now. Hopefully I'll have some pics or videos to include with the next post.

1 comment:

JillianLee said...

How did I know that I would be included in this post..? Kidding. I was a giant, I know. Actually, I'm a little flattered that my name was mentioned. I mean, it's a very rare occurrence that anyone besides Ma, Pa, Law, or Baby Buck#2 makes the page.
So thanks girrr!
P.S. Law IS a genius. Oh, and I don't think that it was your pregnancy that made you want a snickers, 'cause girl, now I want one, too!!
Love you!